Now taking applications for summer 2017: Apply Now!
Application review will begin February, 1 2017. All applications are due March 1, 2017.
- To provide teachers with research experiences and on-going relationships with career scientists that will enable them to share the latest developments in STEM fields with students and inspire their students to learn more about science and engineering and their related career paths.
- Teachers will engage in cutting-edge research under the guidance of a faculty mentor and graduate students for approximately 35 hours per week for seven weeks.
- Teachers will develop strong relationships with researchers from ISU by having small group discussions about their research and developing strategic partnerships to help bring new ideas into the classroom.
- Teachers will spend structured time focusing solely on their professional learning along with other colleagues from the RET program. Master teachers will facilitate sessions to help translate summer learning into activities for use in the classroom.
- Follow-up activities include faculty and graduate student visits to teachers’ high schools and opportunities for high school students to conduct small independent research projects.
- The Center for Biorenewable Chemicals coordinates with faculty members from all across campus to offer a vast array of research opportunities for teachers in engineering, technology, mathematics, life sciences, chemistry and many others.
- Teachers are encouraged to be specific about the type of research that fits their classroom best when filling out the application. See a full list of past participant research projects or Research project examples.
- Stipend: $900/week for seven weeks
- Travel: up to $500 travel allowance and on-campus housing (if needed)
- Optional participation for two summers
- Classroom supplies allowance to incorporate science experience into classroom and curriculum
- Graduate Credit and License Renewal Credit available
- All programs take place at or near Iowa State University
Program Dates: June 12, 2017- July 28, 2017